The opponents of the ruling BDP are being abducted by the DISS. The latest being Baiphi Segapo. This organ has become extreme and lethal as it continues to abduct political activists in the opposition subjecting them to torture and inhumane treatment, something synonymous with dictatorial regimes.
1. Our understanding of the mandate of DISS is that of detecting threats and providing intelligence services for security, safety, trade and related interests of the people of this Country.
2. It appears clearly that DISS has drifted on this national mandate and is preoccupied with meddling in politics to protect the current regime. The DISS in its current form and conduct has indeed become a national security threat and a monster engulfing our politics.
3. Of late there have been reports of opponents of the ruling BDP being abducted by the DISS. The latest being Baiphi Segapo. This organ has become extreme and lethal as it continues to abduct political activists in the opposition subjecting them to torture and inhumane treatment, something synonymous with dictatorial regimes. With this trend, under Rre Masisi, we will certainly witness continued abuse of state institutions, enactment of draconian laws, clamp down and attack on media, trade unions and rest of civic society.
4. The recent undemocratic tendencies by the Masisi regime in relation to his political competitors and conduct by DISS clearly shows that Botswana is shifting into a police state where political freedoms will be curtailed and dictatorship replacing democracy.
4.2 In the quest for self-preservation and consolidation of power, the regime is unleashing terror on political opponents, establishing a totalitarian type of Government, that will definitely cost this country politically and economically.
5. At UDC, a political party devoted to nurturing of democracy and civil rights, we will continue to expose human rights abuses of the current regime. We can not as a country continue to keep quiet under the boot of this regime. This continued onslaught and attack on Democracy must stop.
6. We accordingly put a demand on President Masisi to direct stoppage of DISS terror on citizens of this Country, as per his campaign