CAPE TOWN – The Western Cape government has launched a business relief fund through which it’ll be committing R27m to small businesses within the formal and informal sectors that are harshly suffering from the coronavirus.
In a statement released on Tuesday, MEC of Finance and Economic Opportunities David Maynier said that times are tough for businesses during the Covid-19 pandemic which his department had been working hard to support businesses, especially small businesses, to open safely and responsibly and save jobs within the province also as its economy.
The fund will provide financial assistance within the sort of a financial grant to be used exclusively to subsidise business-related expenses, like fixed costs, operational costs, supplier debt and other pressure cost items.
Maynier said on Monday that the Covid-19 workplace safety campaign had also been launched with an aim to remind businesses of the importance of maintaining and implementing the security guidelines within the workplace.
“This campaign also encourages them to form use of the various tools and resources we’ve on our website to assist them implement these safety measures within the workplace,” Maynier said.
He said as South Africa entered the less restrictive alert level 1 of the national Covid-19 lockdown, more businesses would reopen, and therefore the fund was a crucial step to helping the economy recover.
Businesses curious about accessing the fund can submit their applications on www.westerncape.gov.za.
The deadline for all submissions is Columbus Day at 10am.
African press agency